Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It Is Time For A New Look!




Hello :) I have been wanting to repaint my kitchen for about five months, but was unsure of what I wanted. I knew I wanted to add a vintage look to my kitchen. Lately I've been buying baking dishes, bowls, kitchen towels and utensils at estate sales. Just can't be stopped. I love bringing home these wonderful treasures. So I emailed my good friend Karon (so many wonderful ideas swimming around in her head) and asked her for some ideas. She is my go to girl when it comes to vintage :). I keep telling her she needs a blog. So many women would benefit from her creativity. Let's take a look at the before!

My sister Genevie (aka Jenni and second oldest), my daughter Holly and I painted the cabinets about six years ago. They were a dark wood finish. As you can see it is time for a change.



I'm sure I was supposed to be a better host and clean up before I invited you all to see my kitchen, but I don't think it's necessary if you are doing a before and after. Right? :) See the Giada De Laurentiis cook book (has a cooking show on tv) on the refrigerator? My sister Jenni gave it to me for Christmas. She stood in line at her book signing in LA, CA (in high heels, walked a mile, because there was no nearby parking and stood in line forever) and had it signed for me! Very special gift :)



I know many of you have noticed the cook books on the stove. I just put them there for a sec. I know one should never leave flammable items on the stove. I was taught this rule and the roll up your sleeves before you cook rule (as to not catch them on fire) in elementary school. I always thought whats the big deal and like the stove is just gonna turn its self on jeez (second grade attitude)! One day last summer there was a short in our stoves wiring and fire came through the knobs (turned its self on)!A couple years ago my sister Jenni was cooking and not following the roll up your sleeves rule. Yes, her sleeve caught on fire! She was not hurt:) Both of these incidents taught me valuable lessons. Turns out my teacher knew what she was talking about. After all as kids didn't we really know it all :)


This wall was being shy. Therefore I was unable to get a good picture to show it's true color . It was green when I moved in. You can see a little of the back yard.



The cabinet doors kept falling off so I put up a curtain. I'll be putting up a new rod and new curtain. Hmmm what color fabric should I buy ?






Let the games begin! I am so ready. First the primer. I'll be back soon to give you the finished version. Is anyone else making over their kitchen or have any websites or blogs I can visit to get some ideas on vintage kitchens? I'd love to know. Have a great day and until next time.

Blessings,

aimee







19 comments:

  1. Aimee, why not buy some really great fabric for the curtains and match the paint to that??? Also, not sure if she has anything about kitchens, but I *LOVE* Kim at Daisy Cottage. You might find some good ideas there. >>> http://deardaisycottage.typepad.com/daisy_cottage/

    Have fun!!! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh - so fun & exciting! looking forward to seeing more. the curtain idea is great!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Aimee! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    I have 3 different types of cabniets in my kitchen! I call this house my crazy quilt cottage! My lower cabiets are similar to yours. They had fake wood grain contact paper on them (YUK!) so I covered them with strawberry contact paper. NOT an easy job but it looks so much beter! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your kitchen turns out just the way you want it Aimee! Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aimee :)

    Looks like great minds think alike, as we're in the middle of a kitchen project too! Can't wait to see how yours will look :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Aimee, can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out, I love vintage so i am sure i will LOVE your kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how timely! We are just begining our kitchen re-do. We are waiting for the weather to cool off a bit. I'll have to follow your project for ideas! Love the curtain on your cabinet. Too cute :)

    Misha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Change is good!! Your change is GREAT!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think its going to be gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was never taught the roll up your sleeves rule! I guess everyone around me figured it was common sense but, at times, I don't have common sense! When I clean, I always pile everything that was on the countertops onto the stove tops! Oops! I'm glad to hear (read) your sister didn't get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How's it coming?? I'm jonesin' to see it all finished.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooooh! A kitchen redo...how fun! Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see more.

    Come check out the Knock Off Knock Out party.

    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh how fun to redo the kitchen! Seems that we mostly live in that part of the house...~xo~ Janet

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey when your done there my kitchen needs a redo too.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is Saturday afternoon, it is raining, and I have some rare free time. I discovered your blog while traveling through blogland, and I am so thankful I did. Spent lots of time here and I really feel at home, even though you have three guys and I have three girls. I will return, because I enjoyed my time here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just coming over for a visit. I have changed all of my buttons.
    I have the Knock Off Knock Out party on Mondays and we have a brand new party starting this week. It will be every Wed and featuring Holiday Decor and/or tasty treats. Come on by.

    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely can't wait to see the finished results! There is nothing in the world better than a fresh coat of paint and a little spruce-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Affiliate Profit Machine is ready -

    And earning money online using it is as simple as 1, 2, 3!

    Here is how it works...

    STEP 1. Choose which affiliate products you intend to promote
    STEP 2. Add some push button traffic (it LITERALLY takes JUST 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. See how the system grow your list and sell your affiliate products all by itself!

    Do you want to start making money?

    Check it out here

    ReplyDelete